One of my favorite holiday traditions is to give my niece and nephew an Advent calendar after Thanksgiving Day. An Advent calendar is used to count and celebrate the days before Christmas, starting with December 1. It’s one way of sharing the spirit of the holidays and providing appreciation, kindness, and inspiration to family and friends.
The children’s calendar has numbered pockets, marked 1 to 25 for the days leading to Christmas. Each pocket holds a small gift, such as a toy, candy, dollar bills, or a gift certificate for a movie or ice cream. Most importantly, each day holds a loving message, an inspirational quote, or a suggestion for a random act of kindness. The kids look forward to the surprises and sentiments each day brings.
Here are a few examples of messages in this year’s calendar:
- You are very, very special and loved very, very much!
- Gratitude for small things makes every day a gift.” – Sue Bender
- “Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out.” – Frank Clark
- Believe in yourself. You can do it! We are always cheering for you!
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- You have a wonderful way of adding joy to every day. Thanks for being you!
- “The person who sends out positive thoughts activates the world around him positively and draws back to himself positive results.” – Norman Vincent Peale
- Focus on the positive and find goodness in everyone you meet.
- “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop
- Do one act of kindness to make someone very merry today.
- “If you would be loved, love and be lovable.” – Benjamin Franklin
- Tell your family and friends often that you love them and what they mean to you.
- “People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.” – Abraham Lincoln
- Remember, one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day for the better. Have many happy and kind thoughts today and every day!
- “I’m a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.” – Thomas Jefferson
- Say something nice today to someone who may need a friend, a kind word, or cheering up.
- “Energy and persistence conquer all things.”- Benjamin Franklin
- “You can have anything you want – if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish, if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney
- “Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.” – Lao-Tze
- “Life isn’t about getting and having, it’s about giving and being.” – Kevin Kruse
- Thank you for being so helpful and thoughtful to your family and friends. You always give a helping hand and we appreciate it very much!
- “The mind is everything. What you think, you become.” – Buddha
- “To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue… gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness.” – Confucius
- “Of all things, love is the most potent.” – Maria Montessori
We love you! We are very happy and thankful to spend any day with you!
Their Mom puts these messages in a jar on the kitchen counter, so the children can draw upon and share the loving and inspirational thoughts throughout the year.