Apple Montessori Schools are keenly aware of how important our team’s role is in the lives of the children in our care. We take pride in offering a professional training program designed to prepare adults for the task of helping young children develop to their full potential. Our commitment includes professional development programs, Apple Academy, health and safety training, weekly staff training, mentor programs, academic courses in child development, safe schools, and supplemental training.
Apple Montessori Schools has one of the most sought after continuing education training and advancement programs, and it is school-funded. Participants receive continuing education and professional development opportunities year after year to strengthen their knowledge in key curriculum areas, Montessori pedagogy and practices as well as current psychological approaches to child development. The program is designed to engage with hands-on demonstration, team-building activities and guest speakers.
Apple Montessori’s own Apple Academy is a continuing education program provided to educators. Apple Academy is a full-fledged, practical training and seminar program held several times per year covering a variety of topics such as:
- Curriculum: Expands levels of expertise through engaging exercises and demonstrations by applying concepts to real-world experience
- Character Development: Development of personal skills and virtues, interpersonal skills, and global citizenship
- Emergency Preparedness: Invaluable skills for prevention, what to do in an emergency and how to handle post-emergency situations
- Teacher Preparation: Prioritizing and organizing to ensure a successful year
Health and Safety Training
The safety of the children in our care is of the utmost importance. We provide our staff with safety training and certifications to maintain the highest standard in health, safety, and overall well-being. Our safety training includes:
- Secure Education Consultants: Our schools and staff are safety-certified by Secure Education Consultants. The SEC training is provided by former Secret Service agents and ensures we maintain the highest standards of health and safety. The SEC team specializes in analyzing facilities, developing emergency preparedness plans, and preparing faculty and staff to confront emergencies of all kinds.
- Certifications: CPR, AED, and first-aid training are important requirements for our role as educators and caregivers.
- Monthly Training Drills: Monthly safety training drills are conducted to ensure preparedness in fire emergencies, lock-down situations, and intruder drills.
- Safe Schools Training: Our staff members participate in the New Jersey Department of Education’s “Keeping our Kids Safe in School” program which includes police procedures, identifying symptoms of abuse and reporting requirements.
Each week, we invite specialized professionals to visit our schools to work one-on-one with team members to enhance their expertise through direct observation and demonstrations.
We provide all new team members with a personal mentor. Our experienced, professional mentors are available for support and to help new staff rapidly acclimate to the role. Our mentor program fosters relationships and provides a pleasant overall on-boarding experience to newly-hired employees. By helping our newest team members feel welcome on day one, we provide a better experience to the children in our care.
Academic Courses in Child Development
Selected staff members from each school take part in a series of nationally-accredited Child Development academic courses such as “Many Ways to Learn” and “Principals in Child Development and Learning”. Information is shared with colleagues throughout the year at various professional development seminars.
- Positive parenting
- Child abuse
- Dealing with tantrums
- Principles of behavior
- Baby signs
- Infant/toddler yoga training
…and much more
An inside look at Apple Academy: Infant/Toddler Training
Apple Academy recently hosted an infant/toddler training session for our staff. We played a game in which team members had to match developmental milestones to a child’s age (2 months to 2 years). They also matched milestones to their proper categories like social/emotional, language/communication, cognitive, and movement/gross motor.
In the second half of the training, our staff paired up and took turns being the teacher and an infant or toddler while demonstrating Montessori lessons. Your baby is in good hands at Apple!
The Apple Montessori Philosophy
The philosophy upon which Apple Montessori School is based embraces the most fundamental teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori. Our method is designed to constantly build upon the individual skills and knowledge the child is acquiring, at every age level. By offering multi-aged classrooms rich with Montessori materials, your child will be actively engaged in their own learning process.
He or she can move through new challenging materials quickly, or on to another experience without the boredom of waiting for others to catch up. He or she can repeat these same activities until mastery is achieved. This can be done without the frustration of being pushed ahead before one is ready. His or her feelings of accomplishment act as a reinforcement to succeed.